Sean Bell: Will We Do More Than Talk?
As everyone should already know, the verdict came in for the Sean Bell case a few days ago. Two men wounded, one man dead and three innocent police let off the hook. I never spoke on my thoughts because there’s not much else to say that hasn’t already been done. Numerous blogs to songs have surfaced since the not guilty verdict was announced. While I think it’s needed, as each artist can have a different set of fans and the message will reach a broader audience. I’m saddened though as I feel that some artists will just use the injustice as a stepping stone for their “buzz”. I know a lot of artists are sincere but I also feel there are some that aren’t. This goes for politicians and people with a status higher than the average civilian. I won’t name names though, that’s not my place.
I hope after the songs and after the rants on blogs (mine included) that more will be done. I understand people’s pain and anger and hope it doesn’t result in violence towards police or anyone. I’d rather see progress in fixing this. I have no solutions but there is more than songs & write ups that can be done! I know awareness is key, so I’m working with my man Narada on a tee shirt in memory of Sean Bell, Timothy Stansbury, Patrick Dorismond and Amadou Diallo. If you aren’t familiar with any of these names, I suggest you put wiki to use. I don’t have intentions on selling them, but shipping might be asked from anyone who wants them (I’ll post pictures when we get them printed). Things like this may be trivial to some, but the smallest thing can spark curiosity in someone who in turn will talk to another, so on and so on. So I ask that people don’t stay quiet on this matter. Please speak up and announce your thoughts.
After the jump, I’ve posted a collection of the videos and songs that I’ve come across that are in relation to Sean Bell and police brutality…
- Papoose – We Shall Overcome (50 Shots Sequel)
- Papoose – Change Gon Come (50 Shots)
- Euclid x Santogold – Starstruck
- A-Alikes – They Wanna Murder Me pt.2 f. Sha Stimuli, Immortal Technique & Steele
- Joell Ortiz – Fifty Shots (Stream of Conscience)
- Q Da Kid – Sean Bell Tribute
- The Game – 911 is a Joke (Cop Killa)
- Red Cafe – Long Live Sean Bell
- Mickey Factz – I’m Sean Bell (50 Shots More)
- Donny Goines – Kill a Pig (prod. Dame Grease)
- Grafh – Not Quilty (The People’s Verdict)
- Trama – Fuck Da Police f. Muja Messiah
- Jon Hope – Blue Devils f. Termanolgy (prod. Statik Selektah)
- ESSO – License to Kill
- Jasiri X – Enough is Enough
- Immortal Technique
- Phonte (of Little Brother)
- Al Sharpton, Nicole Paultre-Bell, Ice Cube, Chamillionaire & Bun B
- The Game
- ?uestlove, Nas, Talib Kweli & Mos Def
- Amanda Bassa: The Bell Jar
- J. Burnett: A Call to Action: What, You Think This Can’t Happen to You?
- Anthony Springer Jr: Dollars and Change
- Charlamagne Tha God: No Justice No Peace
- Meka Soul: The More Things Stay The Same
- Brillyance: You’re Not Ready for a Revolution
- Michael Partis: Mainstream Hip-Hop Must Answer!
Trama – Fuck Da Police f. Muja Messiah
The Game Speaks on the Sean Bell Verdict
Jasiri X – Enough is Enough
David Banner with The Roots on Sirius Radio
Nas, Talib Kweli, Mos Def & Jeff Johnson on Sean Bell Verdict
*If there are any songs, blogs, videos, etc that I missed please drop a comment and I’ll edit the post. Shake out.